BUS
KALEIDOSCOPE 1967 UK SINGLE & DOUBLE DECKERS MUNICIPAL FLEETS LONDON
SCOTLAND NORTHERN IRELAND ISLE OF MAN CHANNEL ISLANDS AEC BRISTOL DAIMLER
DENNIS LOLINE GUY ARAB LEYLAND ALBION BEDFORD FORD SEDDON WALTER ALEXANDER
FALKIRK DUPLE EAST LANCASHIRE ECW LOWESTOFT PARK ROYAL CHARLES H. ROE MARSHALL
OF CAMBRIDGE MASSEY BROTHERS MCW NORTHERN COUNTIES PENNINE PLAXTON POTTERS OF
BELFAST READING OF PORTSMOUTH STRACHAN W.L. THURGOOD WILLOWBROOK
IAN ALLAN HARDBOUND BOOK with
DUSTJACKET in ENGLISH by PHILIP WALLIS
---------------------
Additional Information from Internet
Encyclopedia
Buses have been used on the
streets of London since 1829, when George Shillibeer started operating his
horse-drawn omnibus service from Paddington to the City. In 1850, Thomas
Tilling started horse bus services, and in 1855 the London General Omnibus
Company (LGOC) was founded to amalgamate and regulate the horse-drawn omnibus
services then operating in London.
The LGOC began using motor
omnibuses in 1902, and manufactured them itself from 1909. In 1904, Thomas
Tilling started its first motor bus service. The last LGOC horse-drawn bus ran
on 25 October 1911, although independent operators used them until 1914.
In 1909, Thomas Tilling and the
LGOC entered into an agreement to pool their resources. The agreement
restricted the expansion of Thomas Tilling in London, and allowed the LGOC to
lead an amalgamation of most of London's bus services. However, also in 1909,
Thomas Clarkson started the National Steam Car Company to run steam buses in
London in competition with the LGOC. In 1919, the National company reached
agreement with the LGOC to withdraw from bus operation in London, and steam bus
services ceased later that year.