Boxed Vintage (1972) Hallmarked Sheffield Sterling Silver Handle Harrison Brothers Pie Server / Cake Server / Pizza Slicer (10”/26cm, 71.6g).
Superb quality item with ornate and intricate sterling silver handle and polished Sheffield stainless steel blade. Please browse all 12 sets of photographs attached for size, weight and condition as they are self explanatory. About 50 years old but new, unused and in excellent condition. Lovely weight and feel. Needs to be seen and handled close up to be fully appreciated as the photographs attached really do not do it justice.
The well established esteemed firm of Harrison Brothers was one of the oldest cutlery firms in England and by 1900 it was certainly one the biggest firms In Sheffield ,UK.
It started with Thomas Sansom, a silver plate worker at Norfolk Street, Sheffield, who registered his mark at the Sheffield assay office in 1808 and went on to form the firm of Thomas Sansom & Sons in partnership with his sons Abraham, John and William Sansom. George Howson, who was likely apprenticed as a cutler in 1803, later became a partner at Thomas Sansom & Sons .
George died in 1847 and the business was acquired by the two Harrison brothers James William and Henry together with George’s son William Howson, forming Harrison Brothers and Howson. They took on different roles in the firm, with Henry Harrison moving to America to represent their interests there. Henry became a Master Cutler in 1862. William Howson became a traveller for the firm, but resigned from the partnership in 1875 and died in 1884.
The Harrisons continued to expand the business achieving a Royal Warrant from Queen Victoria and later one from King Edward VIII. but by the end of the century most of the Harrisons had passed out of the business.
The Howson family took over and George Howson (son of William) who had become a partner in 1875 became the leading light, making two world tours to promote their brand. He became a master cutler in 1893 and in 1896 the company registered a new silver mark ‘GH’ showing his influence.
The company had offices in New York and San Francisco and opened its London showrooms at 11 Hatton Garden (1866) and 43-44 Holborn Viaduct (1885), moving to Regent Arcade House, 19-25 Aryle Street (1941). By this stage they were considered amongst the top half dozen cutlery makers in Sheffield, employing around 600 workers in 1911.
The Howson family continued to run the privately owned company, but sadly it went into decline between the two world wars and was sold to the famous Viners company in 1959.