The Sierra Nevada Wood & Lumber Co. was formed in 1878 by WS Hobart and SH Marlette on the east shore of Lake Tahoe. This company was a lumber supplier for the Comstock Lode mines. The company owned almost ten thousand acres of timber along the eastern shore of Lake Tahoe along with a mill at Incline. The project was overseen by J. B. Overton, who also served as Superintendent for the Virginia & Gold Hill Water Co. Lumber was transported using steamers, a railroad at Incline, flumes, and then the Virginia & Truckee Railroad in Carson. The decline of mining on the Comstock corresponded to a decreased demand for lumber. In 1894 the company sold the dam at Marlette lake to the Carson & Tahoe Lumber Company. The mill and railroad were disassembled and moved five miles north of Truckee alongside Prosser Creek at the site of the new town of Hobart Mills (Overton).