Poughkeepsie, NEW YORK - Poughkeepsie Bridge: The historic Poughkeepsie Bridge—now known as the Walkway Over the Hudson—is a 6,768-foot steel cantilever structure spanning the Hudson River between Poughkeepsie and Highland, New York. Completed in 1889 as a major railroad connection, it operated for decades before a 1974 fire closed it down, eventually reopening in 2009 as a scenic pedestrian park.
Construction and Early Years
- 1871–1888: Securing a charter took years of political and financial struggle, including delays from the 1873 financial panic.
- Opening (1889): Built by the Union Bridge Company, it opened as a double-track railroad bridge.
- Engineering Marvel: At completion, it was briefly the longest bridge span in the world, linking Pennsylvania coal fields to New England industries.
Decline and Closure
- Mid-20th Century: Traffic dropped due to the rise of trucks, highway systems, and a decline in regional manufacturing.
- 1974 Fire: A severe fire on May 8, 1974, burned sections of the wooden timber decking, ending active train operations.
- Landmark Status: The idle span was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Rebirth as a Walkway
- 2009 Reopening: Following local grassroots advocacy, the bridge was transformed and reopened on October 3, 2009, as an elevated pedestrian park.
- Modern Day: Standing 212 feet above the water, it operates as part of the Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park and connects regional rail trails.
This Divided Back Era (1907-15) postcard is in good condition. Bryant Union Publishing Co. New York. Germany.